Sunday, September 25, 2011

Adjusting

I've been on this lovely island for one month now. Some major adjustments have taken place, and I've experienced some emotional highs and lows as well. No one said a move such as this would be easy!
Medical issues have been front and center for a few weeks. I was taking a low-dose antidepressant for nerve pain in my feet and was trying...unsuccessfully...to get the medication here. You can walk into any pharmacy here and just ask for Valium, but antipsychotics, antidepressants and anticonvulsants require a prescription. Due to the lengthy process, I had run out of the medication I brought with me. I was on edge...waiting for the unbearable pain to start...and frustrated that it was seemingly impossible to get what I needed.
Just when I had a doctor's prescription and thought I was finally going to get my meds, fate stepped in again. The pharmacy didn't 'like' the doctor's stamp on the prescription.  I was on the verge of despair when I thought to myself, "wait...your feet have been all right...a little numbness off and on, mainly due to uncomfortable shoes or sitting for too long."  What if fate were telling me to get off the medication?  And so the decision was made to let fate decide.  So far, so good!

I was also experiencing considerable fatigue during the day.  'Something' was waking me up in the middle of the night...usually around 2-3 AM...scratching, clawing...in the walls?...under the floor?  What was it?  Where was it?  Once awakened by it, I couldn't stay in the bedroom.  What if it was able to get in there? 

The next night I pushed the two chairs together and slept in the living room.  Not very comfortable, and not a good night's sleep.  I spoke to the owner about the noises.  She thought it was caused by palm branches rubbing against the building, so she had the handyman...Victor...cut the brush back.  I slept, once again, in the bedroom and was awakened at 4 by the scratching.  Back to the living room! 

The next night we had an angry storm...a deluge of rain and crashes of thunder that shook the apartment building.  There was much more than scratching that night...loud and desperate clawing, up, up, up the wall...thumping...crashing.  I couldn't take much more of this.  Victor speaks no English, and I speak no Spanish...and so, I mimed to him the events of the previous night!  Later in the day, the owner stopped by to tell me that Victor had found a very large iguana trapped in a pipe leading to the cistern.  He freed it...problem solved!

At the same time as the ensuing quandry about my feet/medication, we experienced quite a bit of rain on Utila.  I was staying put in my apartment...not wanting to get drenched and not wanting to overdo the walking because of my feet.  I began to miss my family...miss my friends...everyone I knew and loved was so far away.  I wasn't sleeping well because of my unseen visitor.  I was worried that I could soon be in unbearable pain.  I was having an extra glass of wine at night to help me sleep.

I realized I was experiencing some mild depression, so I had a long talk with myself.  "You know this isn't uncommon, Carolyn.  Anyone who makes a lifestyle change will, at some point, ask themselves 'what was I thinking?'.  You were expecting this.  Now deal with it.  You're a sociable person, and you need people in your life.  It's not good to sit in this apartment and dwell on things you can't change.  Make sure you get out with people every day.  Walk to Rio Coco for an iced latte.  Sit and talk with the nice young men who work there.  Strike up conversations with the other customers.  Go to the book/video store or one of the realty companies and get to know the owners and employees better.  Get out and DO...every single day, rain or shine!"

I'm nothing if not a good listener, and I paid close attention to what I told myself!  The very next day I journeyed to Rio Coco.  I had an interesting conversation with a young couple from Portland, Oregon, who are traveling all over Central America.  They were leaving for El Salvador that afternoon.  I met an absolutely gorgeous young man with the most beautiful tattoos I have ever seen.  After complimenting him, he explained the elaborate tats to me in detail.  It was satisfying just to gaze on his beauty.  A couple of days later, I made a new friend there...Sheldon...who surprised me with freshly caught tuna the following afternoon.

The health benefits of living here have been amazing.  Not only am I off the medication I was taking for nerve pain, but I have stopped taking Prilosec for acid reflux.  I'm eating smaller meals, walking every day, losing weight.  I've had no sinus problems since I've been here.  No allergies?  No pollution?  Salt air?  I don't know why, but I'm happy to not have a constantly drippy nose.  No more back issues...that's huge!  Before I left the states I was barely able to straighten up after bending over.  My fingernails have grown long and hardened.  I can't remember the last time I was able to grow my nails long!

An added bonus, I'm now very comfortable in my apartment.  No more scary noises; I fall asleep to the sound of ocean waves breaking on the shore; all my mementos of family and friends are strategically placed; although I can't have a pet here, I do have a gecko family that comes and goes.  Having the proper perspective helps, and it's important to not allow anything to keep you down.  I am only as weak as I allow myself to be...and as strong as I will myself to be.       

1 comment:

  1. I love your writing Carolyn. You inspire me with your courage and honesty. I know that you will have a wonderful life in Utila!

    ReplyDelete