Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Serendipitous Life

Finding Utila was no coincidence...of that I am certain.  I have been here for six months now, a milestone that some thought I'd never reach.  During that time I've achieved a greater understanding of my responsibility to the Earth, the importance of sacrifice in our daily lives, the true meaning of love for all creatures, and the unbridled joy of living a simple life.  I'd like to share some of that with you today through some of the many photos I've taken since my arrival.


What could be more inspiring than waking to such a glorious sunrise?  I get sunrises from one end of my porch and sunsets from the other end.  Doesn't get much better than that!  The intensity of the colors always amazes me.  I've recently begun taking yoga classes.  How peaceful it is to lay my mat down next to the porch railing, in the glow of the early morning light, and stretch my muscles into wakefulness while synchronizing my breath with the ebb and flow of the waves.  I feel so close to my Creator, and completely connected to nature.


When day is done and the sun sets on Utila, the colors become softer and more subtle.  Do you suppose this is a part of the grand scheme of things...vibrant, intense color in the morning to help energize us for the day ahead; quiet, peaceful color in the evening to bring about a restful mood in preparation for sleep?


This is the view from my bedroom window.  I'm fortunate enough to be able to lay in my bed at night and be lulled to sleep by the rhythmic melodies of waves rushing to shore.  I believe we are all drawn to the ocean...a timeless reminder of life in the womb, surrounded by the life-sustaining amniotic fluid.  Born and raised near the ocean, I lived most of my adult life away from it in the center of the United States.  It was sad to be so removed from the sea, for it was in my soul.  Perhaps I am being rewarded now...nearing the end of my days here on Earth...with a life surrounded by the sea.


There is year-round flora on Utila.  During the rainy season, October through January, some flowers don't bloom as prolifically, but during the warmer summer months the island is ablaze in color. Many residents have an abundant variety of tropical flora...a palette that will please all the senses.


Most Utilians understand the connection between the land and their well-being and survival.  By developing the land "around" the trees, instead of clearing the trees, they are insuring the island's sustainability.  Substantial rainfall during the rainy season is crucial to maintaining healthy flora during the hot summer months.  Rainwater is also the main water source on the island.  Cisterns collect the water for use in bathing, laundry, toileting and cleaning, while drinking water is ferried in from the mainland.  A healthy growth of palms and other trees means there will always be sufficient rainfall to sustain the population of Utila.


 There are many unusual fruits and vegetables growing on Utila.  This photo is of a sapote (suh - po - tay), a sweet, orange-fleshed fruit reminiscent of pumpkin with the spices already added.  Avocado, mango, papaya, limes, bananas, pineapple, coconuts and sapote grow in abundance on Utila...each ripening at different times of the year.  The locals are warm and friendly people who don't hesitate in sharing their bounty.  My friend, Sheldon, just gave me a beautiful papaya yesterday.  It needs a few days to fully ripen, but I'm really anticipating the fresh sweetness of it.  No pesticides are used on the island.  Utilians are very careful of protecting the pristine beauty of the coral reef here...the world's second largest...so no poisonous substances are allowed.  It's comforting to know that what I'm ingesting isn't going to sicken or kill me.


This is a special type of banana that grows on Utila.  As you can see by the knife I placed next to them, they are only about half the size of normal bananas.  They are slightly firmer and much, much sweeter than the average banana.  They aren't in season right now, but I can't wait until they are again!  I make myself a banana or sapote smoothie every morning for breakfast, using vanilla soy milk and plain yogurt made by my friend Gunter.  Gunter even sells his yogurt to the grocery store and Rio Coco Beans Cafe for their smoothies...it's so good, and good for you!


Every year, during the summer months, the baby crabs make their journey from the ocean, inland.  Hundreds and even thousands of them cross the road by my apartment.  Unfortunately, with the increased use of scooters and golf carts on the island, many of them don't make it.  During this time I can hear them rustling in the grass by the sides of the road as I walk to town, and it's not unusual to see them scurry into a hole as I pass by.


If you don't have a scooter, golf cart, bicycle, or a good pair of legs on Utila, you can take a local taxi anywhere on the island for only $1.50.  I love to walk, so most of the time I just use my legs.  However, if I'm going somewhere at night or I have a lot of groceries to carry, I'll get Alejandro to take me where I'm going.  He doesn't speak English, and I don't speak Spanish, but somehow we manage to communicate with one another.  At the end of February I'll be getting my own golf cart, so I won't need Alejandro anymore.  He will undoubtedly miss the extra 50 cents I always give him.  There isn't a lot of employment on the island, and many of the Honduran people live in poverty.  The mainland sees a lot of crime, but the island is very peaceful and safe.


Tourism is the main source of income for the island, and there are almost thirty dive shops here.  They are all PADI certified and courses for Master Diver and Dive Instructor are given in both English and Spanish.  Most of the dive centers have dorm rooms where divers can stay for as little as $1/night.  Many of my friends dive and/or snorkel; some do amazing underwater photography as well. On one occasion I saw a blanket of plastic bottles float onto shore behind my apartment building.  Shocked and amazed, I asked some of the locals what was happening, and was disgusted to learn that cruise ships actually dump their refuse at sea.  What a tragedy for sea life, and how irresponsible of the cruise lines to treat our oceans like their personal dumping ground.  The local Bay Island Conservation Assoc. holds a beach cleanup once a month, and I do my own personal cleanup along the beach behind my apartment.


I leave you today with this photo of a double rainbow...the first one I've ever witnessed in my 65 years.  This was my first rainy season on Utila...not a bad one, as I've heard they can be quite heavy.  We were fortunate to get a lot of our rain while sleeping at night...an added bonus.  I hope you enjoyed today's photos and stories.  I look forward to sharing more of them with you as my life on Utila develops.

3 comments:

  1. Just astonishing,
    Your cousin Lawrence Kirk - Vagners son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Lawrence???? I just read this comment today. Still trying to navigate around on this site, so I don't always read the comments. I have thought of you so often & have wished I could locate you on the Internet...unfortunately rather computer-illiterate! Where are you? How can I reach you? What a wonderful surprise!

      Delete
  2. Hey neighbour—great pics! I love that you're writing about your experiences...what a gift to others, this glimpse what's possible when you follow your dreams!

    ReplyDelete