Sunday, August 7, 2011

Almost There!

It's hard to wrap my mind around literally "being" in Utila just two weeks from tomorrow. My entire life for the past six months has been "planning" this move. It will seem strange, I believe, to enter a different phase of this monumental change.
The last couple of weeks have been extremely busy. I saw my primary care physician for a physical, ECG and blood work. She was very thorough, and gave me a folder with copies of pertinent health care records to bring with me. I also had my annual mammogram. My doctor laughed when I told her that the American doctor on Utila is rather unconventional...apparently never wears shoes, even when seeing patients!
I've had some tearful goodbyes already with people I don't see that often. Today was my last day driving the senior citizens to church on the bus. They gave me a lovely card, and as an added bonus I shared some of Al's birthday cake at St. Luke's...yesterday he turned 100! Everyone wished me good luck and safe travels. They are such lovely people, and I will miss them.
I met my friend, Audrey, when she was a resident and I was the office manager at The Carolina Apartments. She has lupus and deals with a lot of pain and fatigue. She's had numerous falls, which have necessitated hospital and nursing home stays. Early on I offered to drive her places, and we occasionally went out for lunch. Each Christmas I would pick her up and drive her around to see the lights and decorations. She was so thankful for each and every kindness, and I loved being able to help her out.
I spent an entire day exploring the many thrift stores in the area for shorts. I've never been one to show off my unglamourous gams, but I think I need to get used to it since I'll be living on an island. I also found a few sleeveless tops...something else I don't normally wear, due to the "bat wings" we older women develop! I'm counting on having a brand new body after several months of walking around that 25-square-mile island!
I also bought a few new bras...the kind with extra "lift". It's that older-woman thing again...everything heads south. These bras were absolutely extraordinary! One is black with tiny white polka dots...one is very fine blue, green and white stripes...the other is leopard print. Even though no one will see them but me, I'm going to feel like a very hot, sexy, old broad!
I stopped at Smart Motors, where I leased my Prius last year, to tell them I would be returning the car on Aug. 19. I was prepared to hear, "You'll have to pay through the nose since you're returning the car early.", and was flabbergasted when they said I wouldn't owe them anything!
I then had the presence of mind to call my insurance agent and tell her to cancel my car insurance on the 20th and cancel my homeowner's insurance immediately, since I no longer have any furniture left.
Yesterday I began to clean out my pantry, cupboards and refrigerator. I threw out a bottle of salad dressing with an expiration date of May, 2009, and flushed partially-filled bottles of rice wine vinegar and sesame oil...which had only been used a few times in the past 5 years...down the drain. There were also numerous items, such as the white balsamic vinegar, which had never been opened, so hopefully someone will buy those for a song or two at my final moving sale on Friday.
Still lots of last-minute details to take care of. The last week will be the busiest. On Sat., the day after the moving sale, my daughter is hosting an "Aloha Party" for me at her home. On Sun. Lou, a friend and co-worker, is coming to pick up the second...and last...dresser from me. I guess I'll be forced to pack then, since I will have no place to keep my clothes. On Mon. St. Vincent de Paul will come with a truck to pick up whatever remnants are left over from the sale. Tues. and Wed. will be my last work days, and Wed. evening is the "Welcome Back" meeting at the Transportation Center. Even though I'm not returning, my boss has said I can attend the meeting in order to say 'goodbye' to my friends and co-workers. On Thurs. I will renew my driver's license at the DOT, but only for cars...no more bus driving. I probably wouldn't even need to renew, since I won't be driving anything anymore, but I figure it can't hurt to have extra ID. While I (probably) will be spending the day at the DOT, the carpet people will come to shampoo the carpets.
I've already done a lot of the cleaning...filled nail holes, used the Magic Eraser on any marks/smudges on the painted walls...but I will have to scrub the bathroom and kitchen. On Fri. morning I have scheduled my apartment checkout. My daughter will help me load her car with my luggage, then follow me to Smart Mothers, where I will leave my car. Then she will bring me to her place for the weekend, and together we will leave for the airport in the middle of the night Sun., for our 6:30 a.m. flight to Honduras. I hope to find the time to blog one more time before I leave...we'll see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment