Sunday, August 21, 2011

Final Preparations

It was a whirlwind final week in the states. If I'm totally honest, I was worried that I wouldn't get everything finished in time. But then, this move has been "charmed" since the very beginning and two things worked to my advantage.
First of all, I was scheduled to work on Tues. and Wed., which would have really added to the time crunch. However, at the last minute I was told I would be unable to drive the school bus because my federal medical card had expired the previous week...a two-day bonus!
Secondly, I was informed by the apartment manager that I was not required to shampoo the carpets...a chore for which I had set aside an entire day. Lucky, lucky me!
Still, it was a week packed with so many last-minute details. My driver's license was about to expire, so I had to get to the DMV to renew. Sure that it would be a long wait, I was surprised that it took just over a half hour to accomplish.
The mattress, which my son had loaned me after the sale of my bed, needed to be returned, and although I had been able to slide it down the stairs on it's side, I knew it needed to be carried out to the car...something I would be unable to do alone. Good friend, Orton, came home with me after meeting me for a final cup of coffee at Victor Allen's. Between the two of us, we managed to get it in the Prius. I returned Orton to his pickup and the mattress to my son.
Packing: we've all had to do it, and it isn't much fun! Two suitcases to check, one to carry on, and a tote bag complete with laptop. With today's restrictions, I had to carefully choose what to put in which bag. When finished, I worried that the two bags to be checked were overweight! Well, that would have to wait until I got to my daughter's house, where there would be a scale available. Turns out I was worried for nothing!
Cleaning: oven, stovetop, fan, cupboards, pantry shelves, bathroom, vacuuming, scrubbing floors (my knees complained long and loud...yes, I got down on all fours to give it a thorough scrubbing!). I made so many trips down two flights to the dumpsters that I lost count. You could have eaten off any surface in that apartment by the time I was done!
Returned my Prius to the car dealership. One signature, hand over the keys, done! I am a key-less person now...no car, no home, no more putting up with bad drivers on the road. I'm not sure if people have to lock their homes on Utila or not, but I do know there will be no cars and no bad drivers. There's bound to be a downside, but for one more day I can pretend Utila will be a paradise...the perfect Eden.
The goodbyes have been numerous, emotional, and even painful. Many friends and coworkers hugged and cried with me. Even my boss teared up, and we've only known one another for this past school year. My daughter, Monice, gave me a killer farewell party, complete with hanging lanterns, palm trees and reggae music. Even though it rained off and on, most of the time the sun shone and friends and family ate, drank, and shared stories and a few good laughs.
Today...which is also my 65th birthday...I said my goodbyes to son, Jamie, his wife, Aimee, and my three-month-old granddaughter, Ruby. They took me out for breakfast for my birthday, we visited and took pictures, then parted tearfully. My heart was breaking as I watched them drive away. They are thinking of visiting in March of 2012...before Ruby is walking and can sit on their laps on the plane, and while winter snowstorms are still wreaking havoc in frigid Wisconsin...which isn't too far off.
Now it's off for an early bedtime, since we must leave for the airport at the unholy hour of 2 AM. Look for the first photos of Utila on Tues., Aug. 23, along with a story or two about our travel. So long Wisconsin, and goodbye to the US of A!

No comments:

Post a Comment