Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Day in the Park on a Purple Couch

Many of you already know that the unlikely and unexpected actually materialized, and I have just returned from filming my segment of "Truth" on the OWN: Canada network.  What an amazing trip!

I slept only a couple of hours before my flight left the island at 6:00AM, and it was after midnight before I arrived in Toronto.  Following a $55 cab ride to my hotel (I know!), I enjoyed a much-needed glass of wine before a deep sleep claimed me.  The suite was the most luxurious I had ever stayed in, complete with kitchen, mini bar and washer/dryer.  A lovely polished stone in a black velvet bag lay atop my pillow.  Drat!...I had thought it was chocolate!

On day one I toured the city with my friend, James, who I had met in Utila when he was a neighbor for three months.  We walked the city streets lined with towering skyscrapers, drank coffee at Tim Horton's and strolled around Lake Ontario.  We returned to my hotel and enjoyed some wine, nuts, popcorn and chocolate, while having one of those great talks we used to have on the porch of the Sandstone, overlooking the ocean.  It was a delightful day.


The following day I got an early start to a nearby mall James had shown me.  The production crew was very particular about what could be worn in front of the camera...no white, plaid, checks, stripes, artwork or logos...and since I own only beach clothes anymore, I knew I would have to buy something appropriate.  I had no idea what was in store for me!

I started with the Sears store, since I was familiar with the name, and then I visited every single clothing store in the mall, trying on dozens of outfits and finding absolutely nothing that would work.  My back and feet were screaming with anger and fatigue.  What was I to do?  I had to buy something for the next day's shoot!  I dragged my swollen feet around the perimeter of the mall one more time, hoping to find a store I had magically missed.

It was then that I spotted a covered walkway between the mall and another building, a place called The Bay.  Not knowing if it was a department store or something else, I decided to check it out.  Bonanza!  Ladies garments galore!  I looked at the price tag of a pretty pink summer dress...gasp!...$550!  I was obviously in a designer store.  Feeling as if I really had no choice at this point in time, I decided to look anyhow.  I wound up purchasing a three-piece outfit (the third piece due to the fact that the top was somewhat see-through) that I thought was quite flattering on me for the absolutely obscene price of $598.

I was, surprisingly, not nervous on the day of the shoot.  The day was warm, partly cloudy, and I was dressed to the nines in my Eileen Fisher ensemble.  I set off for St. James Park, the site of the shoot, which was only a few blocks away.


I introduced myself to Colt, the Production Coordinator.  He told me it would be a little while before they got to me...filming is all about "hurry up and wait".  I spent my time getting to know all the members of the team...Amanda, who had initially called to offer me the opportunity to be on the show; Germaine, a very savvy Jack-of-all-trades with a PhD in film; Paul, the sound man; Mark, the interviewer, who it turns out is a therapist, not an actor!


This photo shows Kevin and Heather on the purple couch, being interviewed by Mark.  Colt, Production Coordinator is in the foreground with Paul, the sound man.

Kevin and Heather were on vacation about a year ago.  While swimming, Kevin was pulled beneath the water by an undertow, flipped upside down and slammed into the sand on his head.  Kevin is now a quadriplegic.  He and Heather have maintained a wonderfully positive attitude, understanding that life can change in an instant and you have to deal the cards you've been handed.  They are in Toronto taking part in a new rehab program.

For a time the sky was threatening rain.  A wind blew in and people scrambled to shelter the equipment.  Amanda said, "I don't think it's going to rain...if it does, it will just move through quickly."  "No", I replied, "It's not going to rain.  God wouldn't have brought me this far just to rain on my parade."  I was convinced, and in a few minutes the clouds dispersed and the sun returned.



I thought my turn on the purple couch went very well.  Mark put me completely at ease and asked some very interesting questions.  I wanted to talk more about Utila, but he kept asking questions about how I felt about different things.  I don't want to give too much away...I'm hoping we'll all have the opportunity to watch the segment.

According to Colt, this will only be shown on OWN: Canada.  His suggestion was that I check the webpage towards the end of August and find the listing for TRUTH.  I will be in Episode 6.  I have asked James if he would record it for me and mail it to my son in the states.  He will make a few copies and distribute them.  I don't know if there's any other way to be able to watch the show...unless you live in Canada and get OWN: Canada on your cable or satellite.  Another friend of mine, Walt, has friends in Canada as well, and has said he can get additional copies.  If you'd like to have a copy, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.  There may be a small fee for the DVD and postage.

I'm hoping that one DVD will go to the Transportation Center in Middleton, where all my former co-workers and friends can gather to watch it.  The family will want one...I hope!  I'll eventually get one here in Utila (remember, mail can take up to a month to arrive here!) and it would be fun to have a big get-together on the island to watch it.  I'm hoping I won't embarrass anyone...including myself!  It was exciting and wonderful, and I'm grateful to have had the experience.

On to Wisconsin, family and good friends!  I arrived in Madison just in time for granddaughter, Ruby's, first birthday celebration.


Although she enjoyed the party and all the great gifts, she was especially glad to have Cousin Zach with her.  Spending time with all my family was a real bonus, and I loved reconnecting with many of my daughter-in-law, Aimee's, family as well.

Daughter, Monice, and son, James, took turns putting me up.  We did a little shopping and had a couple of lunches at favorite restaurants, but mostly just relaxed at home, shared stories and coffee, drinks or s'mores on the patio.


I'm really blessed to have two of the greatest children ever!  Monice and James...my best work!

I was also able to spend a couple of days in Middleton with my dear friend, Sue, which enabled me to visit good friends and former co-workers at the Transportation Center, as well as my former student, Robert, and his mom.  I was able to have dinner with good friend, Ted, and got to spend Memorial Day with my friend, Walter, who has just returned to the states from China.  A great treat was lunch with Sue and three other Girl Scout retirees who I hadn't seen for a number of years.  Then Sue, bless her heart, got up at 1:30AM to drive me to the Milwaukee Airport for my flight home.

I had been a little sad at leaving the family, especially little Ruby.  She's learning so many new things: walking, talking, waving and saying "hi", and dancing to Sponge Bob.  She's a happy little redhead, laughing all the time.  I wondered if I would feel miserable without her, depressed at being all alone on my island.  And then I saw Utila from the plane, and my heart almost burst with the joy I felt at being home.  Dewey was there waiting to bring me back to Sandstone.  I was so happy to see him that I ran to give him a big hug.  "Welcome home, Miss Carolyn", he said.

I loved being with my family again, and I brought loving memories back with me.  My day in the park on a purple couch was awesome, and my hope is that my story will inspire someone else to move forward with their life and not let fear or the unknown prevent them from making a change.  Welcome home, indeed!  

2 comments:

  1. As always your warm and lucid writing is uplifting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cuz, that really means a lot to me!

      Delete