Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Etc.

I'm calling this post Etc. because it's a little of this and a little of that, and I didn't want you to think I was rambling!

I sometimes lean against the porch railing, instead of sitting on the Adirondack chairs in the gazebo, just so I can feel the salt spray on my face.  It's become a nightly habit to retire to the porch with a cocktail or glass of wine and watch the wind play with the waves.  It reminds me why I'm here on this island...the call of the ocean.  Last night I had the pleasure of an unobstructed view of the mountains on the mainland.  Most of the time they are shrouded with haze, but last night only a few clouds hovered, so I ran to get my camera.


I have a screen door now, and Pumpkin has figured out how to open it.  When I go outside on the porch, I always call him in case he wants to go out with me.  It's the same every time: he comes to the door and sits there looking at me...I try to coax him, but he doesn't come out...I finally give up and shut the door.  Ten minutes later, as I'm sitting in my breezy spot enjoying my drink, here comes Pumpkin!

                                                                    * * * * * * * * * *

I experienced my first carnival here on the island last week...Carnaval de Utila...which began Monday night with the coronation of the Queen and her court and ended on Sunday with food, drink, music and dancing on   Chepes Beach.  I watched the parade on Saturday from the porch of a friend in town.  It was all-encompassing, with horses, marching bands, dancing girls, floats and Mardi Gras beads.  The music was loud, the floats were colorful and the people were noisy and spirited.  It was supposed to start at 2 PM, but it was after 3 before the horses appeared, and then another half hour before the rest of the parade caught up to them.  Another 20 minutes passed before round two of the floats appeared...just when we thought the parade had ended!  Jan almost gave up and left several times, but I didn't intend to miss my first Carnaval!


Everyone worked hard to make Carnaval de Utila a success, and I do believe that the majority of the population was there in town to witness the parade.  It would be a while, following the end of the parade, before I would be able to make my way back to where I had parked my golf cart, so I walked across the street to Bobby's store and bought a bottle of wine.  Three of us shared in drink and conversation to pass the time, and I made it home before dark, Caribbean music still playing in my head.

                                                               * * * * * * * * * *

Following the filming of Truth in Toronto, I had numerous people tell me that it was now time to write the book.  Isn't that why I'm here, I thought...to write?  I decided to go for it...but immediately faced my first roadblock.  The story is about taking a leap of faith and moving to an island in a foreign country that I had never laid eyes on.  But it was more than that.  It was also a story about a woman who finally found her chutzpah, ended a toxic marriage and began a loving relationship with herself.  Where to begin?


In a matter of days it came to me...start at the end, then go back to the beginning.  Therefore, the title of my book should be the title of my last blog...A Day in the Park on a Purple Couch.  I needed to start with the filming of Truth and backtrack to what had happened in my life to get me there.  I couldn't wait to get started!  Every day I sit at my laptop to relate snippets of my life.  It's really coming together.  Soon I will have to begin the search for an agent and start sending out query letters to publishers.  A very exciting time!

Recently I had a customer at Fancy Fish Gallery who was vacationing from her home state of Maine.  We began to share our stories, and she seemed fascinated by mine.  When I mentioned that I wrote a blog, she asked me to write down the web address so she could read it.  I did as she asked and wrote my name underneath.  When she looked at it she said, "You're Miss Carolyn?  I've heard about you.  I'm so excited to meet you.  You're my hero!"  It was then that I fully understood that I need to write this book in the hope that it will impart inspiration and courage to (mostly female) readers.  We all have the courage to take that leap of faith, but some just need a little push...a push that I hope I can provide.

                                                                * * * * * * * * * *

Some of my friends on the island are also experiencing excitement or difficulty in their lives.  Dustin and Kate are on the mainland in La Ceiba, awaiting the birth of their first child.  We had a baby shower for Kate a few weeks ago, and there's a pool I've taken part in guessing date of birth, weight & height.  We can't wait to meet you Baby Insley!


Jan had a nasty experience with renters who moved out in the middle of the night, leaving the house wide open with keys in the door, A/C and fans running, and outstanding electric bills.

Sue has two tears in her rotator cuff and has been unable to dive for more than two months.  Diving is her passion, and it's been very difficult for her.  I'm trying to keep her busy with morning coffees at Rio Coco and Words With Friends on Facebook!

Linda, who has been in the states for a few months and recently started a new job there, finally got so homesick for the island that she's returning sooner than originally planned.  It will be great to have my Scrabble partner back again.  Her daughter, Sarah, may join her for the winter...double hurrah!

Caitlin and Tony will be returning to Canada in just over a week.  We're having a pot luck celebration in the gazebo on Saturday to wish them a Bon Voyage.  Thankfully, they will be returning in time for the rainy season.  Caitlin has been the yoga instructor on the island, and I'll definitely miss the personalized "house calls".

                                                                * * * * * * * * * *

I've saved the best for last.  We discovered a couple of weeks ago that we no longer have a post office here in Utila.  Rumor has it that the woman who worked there got a job on the mainland in Tegucigalpa.  The municipality tried to find a replacement for her but were unsuccessful, so when she left, they just closed it up!  No idea when...or if...it will reopen.  Just another day in Utila!


No comments:

Post a Comment