Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer Fun

Additional moving-sale days were rather unremarkable and disappointing. However, I was able to read two new books while waiting for my expected buyers. "Game Change", the back story of the 2008 presidential campaign, was both interesting and insightful. "The Mulberry Tree" by Jude Devereaux was filled with romantic intrigue, and I stayed up later than I'd planned in order to finish it.

I had run around town placing half-off flyers everywhere I could the night before the final day of the sale, and spent an additional $10 on a sign to put in front of the apartment building in the hope of luring people in. The one bright spot in the day was when the young neighbor girl...who had already come four times on various sale days...came to buy the antique Weller pottery which had been my mother's. Each time she had been there previously, she had admired the piece, but the $12 price tag was probably too steep for her. Voila! On the last day of the sale it was only $6, and I had a feeling she would be back to get it. I'm so happy that someone who truly loves the piece now owns it.

As I look around my half-empty apartment, I can't help but chuckle. I am without a bed, a microwave, a bedside table, and I fumble around in the half-dark since most of my lamps are gone. But the Christmas decorations are plentiful, as are the varied sizes of storage containers, craft supplies and hand tools. A number of people wanted to buy my toaster, but I had to tell them to return in August. A carb addict, albeit a healthy one since I only eat whole wheat or sprouted grain breads, I simply couldn't deprive myself of toast or an English muffin for breakfast for almost two months.

An unexpected phone call from the Social Security Office relayed wonderful news: not only is my monthly payment going to be almost $200 more than I was initially told back in February, but I will get my first check on August 24...much sooner than I had anticipated. Guess I should prepare myself for being one of the nouveaux riche on Utila!

For the next couple of weeks I will "amuse" myself while sifting through a lifetime of photos and archiving them for the children. I'm sure there are many that I will throw away...all those professional shots of people's feet, chopped off heads and fuzzy faces that we can't seem to part with once they're developed. Then on to purging files, shredding, and compiling necessary information to leave with my son. Sounds like a fun-filled summer, does it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment