Sunday, June 12, 2011

So Many Goodbyes

Wed., June 8, was the last day of school for my seniors. It was difficult to say goodbye to them. Some I had been driving the entire eight years I've been a school bus driver.

This year was Celia's last year too. She and I have really bonded over the years. Last summer I spent time with her while her mom took some classes. We went to movies, the splash park, visited a farm and went out for lunches. Her mom and step-dad are great people, and I have a pretty good feeling that they'll visit me on Utila.

Zach became very agitated, as autistic children sometimes do, when I told him I would not be his driver next year. He was a new rider on my bus this year, so I was surprised that he had become that attached to me.

At the beginning of the week my Early Childhood & Speech students finished up their school year. They were so unbelievably adorable, and I will miss each and every one. I was especially fond of Nevaeh, a tiny, sweet chatterbox who had so many funny stories to tell. Riley, a handsome little ball of energy, was another favorite, but they all had endearing qualities that were unforgettable.

At the end of the last day of school...Thurs., June 9...some of the drivers went to a local bar & grille for pizza and drinks. Even the boss joined us, and a good time really was had by all! I never realized that my boss thought so much of me but, he not only gave me an excellent review, he also told me that he was really going to miss me and that it wasn't too late to change my mind. One driver friend has been coming up with one reason after another why I should stay...even saying he has an extra bedroom I can live in and share the rent with him! Another keeps saying to me, "Oh my gosh, you're really leaving, aren't you?".

It's getting a little easier to say goodbye. Oliver (my cat) was the most difficult a couple of weeks ago. I've decided that I should not look at this as "losing" those I love. They have all brought something meaningful to my life, and I will treasure those memories for the rest of my days. What I have gained is far more than what I am losing, so I choose to embrace the delight of these relationships and not the sadness of leaving them.

1 comment:

  1. I imagine you with so many friends at your new island home! you are such an amazing person, so full of love, concern for others and genuine sincerity. It will be hard for people not to fall in love with you and want to be your friend! Though I will miss you terribly, I will be comforted knowing that you are happy and in a place where you want to be and need to be!

    ReplyDelete